CorgiAid Banner

Home | About | Donations | Guidelines | Application | Rescue | Shop | Cart Program |

Little Man Tate


My Little Man, Tate

My Little Man, Tate (FKA Willie) was posted as available on July 14, 2004. This was his story at that time:

Willie's is truly a story of networking around the USA. He was pulled from a high-kill shelter in Arkansas by a person in Arkansas. The rest of his rescue was coordinated at a long distance, by people in Colorado and Nevada and I'm not sure where else! He was then sent on his way to New York to be fostered, and to be treated for heartworm. CorgiAid supporters will help Willie get healthy, so he can find his forever home. Thank you!

I saw Tate’s picture on the CorgiAid site and my heart was smitten. Those soulful eyes called out to me and I somehow knew he was my kindred spirit. I tracked him down to Little Shelter in New York and made arrangements to go meet him. I was told he was being treated for heartworm and if I was a good match for Tate, I would have to return for him after his heartworm treatment.

On July 23, 2004, I made the five hour drive to New York and spent a couple of hours visiting Tate. I knew we were meant for each other so started making the arrangements to adopt. I was told that he was very unhappy with all the barking dogs in the shelter and was asked to take him with me that very day. As it turns out, it wasn’t just the shelter barking dogs; Tate would not tolerate incessant barking. This dog, who almost never barked, would glare and give one bark for other dogs to stop (and it usually worked). For the first couple of months, I didn’t think he could bark. After a while, I figured out that he must have been forced to NOT bark somewhere along the line. I cannot imagine why anyone would do that. It took me a little while, but he finally learned it was OK to bark even though he didn’t do it often.

On July 23, 2004, Tate made the final leg of his final journey to his forever home in New Hampshire. I completed Tate’s heartworm treatment and the other vetting that he required to finalize the adoption. He never really responded to the name Willy and was such a serious little man so I started calling him Tate (or My Little Man, Tate – you had to see the movie to understand ). He responded immediately so from that day on, he was Tate. Even after he knew he was in his forever home and despite the fact that he looked like a puppy all of his 16 (maybe more) years, he remained a very serious little man.

Tate and I have had a wonderful life together for the last 7 ½ years. I can’t imagine why someone let this sweet, sweet boy go but it was a lucky day for me when we found and rescued each other. He has been much loved and well taken care…somewhat spoiled. He was so well-behaved that I could take him anywhere. He was much loved by all.

Tate had many health issues over the years but my tough little man was a fighter. The last year or so was a little rougher on him as his arthritis and neurological issues were getting the better of him. On January 13, 2012, it was time for my sweet little guy to be at peace. It was a very difficult decision but I’d like to think he is now doing his happy dance with no pain and is now a companion and friend to my Dad who passed right before Tate came into my life and brightened my world.

I know most folks want to adopt a cute little puppy but I wouldn’t have traded my little senior boy with SO much personality for anything in the world. Even with all of his health issues, I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Senior dogs are wonderful!

Thank you to all who helped make it possible for us to find each other. My Little Man, Tate will be forever in my heart.

Donated by: Jan Gentille

© 2002 - 2024 CorgiAid, Inc. All rights reserved.
You may not republish information from this page without permission.
Please contact us to link to our site.

CorgiAid, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.