CorgiAid Banner

Home | About CorgiAid | Donations | Guidelines | Application | Rescue | Shop | Cart Program |

Ripley: Granted March 28, 2008


The Story of Ripley

Last Updated: March 28, 2008

Rescuer: Cynde Frankel at

Here is Ripley's story, in the words of his rescuer:
"Ripley was rescued from a puppy mill in Pennsylvania where he lived his entire life in a small crate outside. Although he had little contact with people in his early life, he was sweet and so thankful for any attention he got from his foster family. Since he was an older dog and not housebroken, we were having a difficult time finding a forever home for Ripley. Since our rescue is an all-foster, no-kill rescue Ripley would live with us for the rest of his life or until he found the perfect forever home.
"Because of his horrific living conditions, Ripley developed lung disease for which he was prescribed several different medications. He had to make several trips to his regular vet to try to control his bronchitis. His regular vet referred him to an internist who x-rayed him and did a broncoscopy in January 08. The results of his broncoscopy were consistent with a severe allergic bronchitis (eosinophils) but a bacterial component could not be ruled out. Ripley was put on a 6-week course of Clavamox and Theophylline. In addition Dr. Jacob prescribed albuterol and fluticonasone inhalers. A follow up examine and x-ray with the internist in March 08 showed that "although there is still significant increase in bronchiolar pattern (generalized), overall the appearance of the bronchiolar changes are significantly better." Dr. Jacob recommended continuing the albuterol and steroid inhaler combination for another two months and then stop the albuterol and continue with the steroid inhaler for the rest of Ripley's life.
"In February 2008, Ripley started having discharge from his left eye. A couple of visits to his regular vet did not improve his eye and he was referred to an opthalmologist. The opthalmologist did not find any ocular problems, but recommended Ripley be seen by a dentist to see if there may be some infected tooth roots that would be affecting his eye. We consulted with a dentist and then took Ripley back to his regular vet for skull x-rays. The skull x-rays showed clouding of the retrobulbar sinus. Since there are no teeth in that area, Ripley's vet thought the cloudiness represented either a tumor or a nasty sinusitis and referred him to a surgeon.
"Ripley was seen by a surgeon who determined that Ripley probably had a cancerous tumor in the frontal sinus. He felt optimistic that this would be a self-contained tumor that could be successfully removed and give Ripley another couple of good, happy years.
"Unfortunately, when the surgeon began removing the tumor, he found that the cancer had spread significantly. The surgeon recommended that we not awaken Ripley from his anesthesia because by the time he would have completed a very rough recovery, the cancer would problably have returned. It was difficult to say goodbye, but we never want to make a dog suffer and that's what would have happened had we awakened him from his surgery."
Unfortunately, rescue does not always have a happy ending. Ripley spent the last months of his life with people who loved him and cared for him as he had never experienced before. He was given a big helping of "life as a beloved pet" and he learned that people could be kind and loving.
CorgiAid supporters helped with Ripley's medical expenses. Thank you.

This dog is not available for adoption.

Return to Index

© 2002 - 2022 CorgiAid, Inc. All rights reserved.
You may not republish information from this page without permission.
Please contact us to link to our site.

CorgiAid, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.